Hisonic…A Boxed Set

Having a good vintage watch is one thing (a good thing of course 🙂 ), but having some of the ephemera that go with it makes it a little more special. Not least because by their nature ephemera are things that were used only in the relatively short term and were not designed to last a long time, so they can be hard to find…..here’s an example:

Outer Sleeve:SONY DSCSONY DSC

Box in a Box:SONY DSCSONY DSC

Inside the Cover: SONY DSC

And the watch in its place:SONY DSC

The box is hinged so the watch can be displayed:SONY DSC

The original cloth: SONY DSC

And the instruction / guarantee booklet: SONY DSCSONY DSCSONY DSC

Finally the leather strap and buckle:SONY DSC

More detail on the watch itself is here: https://sweep-hand.org/2012/01/07/this-weeks-featured-watch-19-the-hisonic/

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

This entry was posted in Vintage Watches and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Hisonic…A Boxed Set

1. Chris irish says:

Stunning set ,how much in uk Pounds£ was the watch in the year it was made.?

2. maripido says:

That is a STUNNING watch, Stephen. Congrats! I just bought my first Hisonic – http://www.ebay.com/itm/034-Rare-034-1974-Citizen-Hisonic-Tuning-Fork-Mens-Vintage-Watch-3711-uhr-reloj-/351933675134?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=yZPFocvYUFFmpOt1ZjOYWSg88AQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

According to my estimation, the case doesn’t look polished and the dial and hands look original to me. I bought it for 202 USD. What do you think?. Did I make a good buy? 🙂 As always, great post and more power to you.

Hi Jose – and congrats on getting a Hisonic, I think they are great, and interesting watches. The price for your example, presuming it is all working well, is ok – these are fairly rare watches and I’ve seen prices higher than this. The acrylic glass is a replacement, the original was mineral glass. I’m sorry to say that I do think the case has been polished – for example the sharpness of the little dings and edges is softened, and the cutout for the crown is more rounded, as compared to this:

The 3D effect on the dial is cool and I reckon it will look good on the wrist 🙂

I’m happy to look at a watch before you buy if you wish – don’t hesitate to ask.

Stephen

• maripido says:

thanks a lot for the information. This is a total bummer since I really dislike polished cases. I guess it doesn’t look *too* polished, I think. I’ll wait till I see it. It’s shipping from Japan as we speak. BTW – I have an SR44 battery that I recently bought..do you think it will fit in this watch? I didn’t see any details on the 3771A movement.

BTW – the same seller is selling TWO hisonics now…you might be interested. What do you think? Are both legit? Unpolished? Which one would you choose?

1) 1972 -http://www.ebay.com/itm/351936111330?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2) 1973 – http://www.ebay.com/itm/252688549218?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks again, Stephen.

Hi Jose – I don’t think the case has been aggressively polished so you may well find it looks pretty good. You need a Renata 344 battery or equivalent for the Hisonic, so your SR44 is not the right one 😦 Remember as well that the battery fits +ve side down, which is unusual. I’ve had a quick look at the other two Hisonics although one is sold now. I think that’s the one I prefer the look of – got a very nice case back, and can’t see that it has been polished. The other one looks like it has had some polishing, as do a number of the seller’s other pieces. I’ve got a catalog pic of your Hisonic, so will send it via email since PhotoBucket is being a pain at the moment! Stephen

3. Eduardo Farha says:

Simply fantastic! Thank you, Stephen!