A Question to Owners of the Challenge Timer (Bullhead) 67-9011

A question a visitor called Lawrence recently asked reminded me of something I have never quite got to the bottom of –  did the 67-9011 Challenge Timer, commonly known as the ‘Bullhead’, originally come with white day and date wheels, or only with black day and date wheels? Now this may seem a somewhat geeky bit of detail, and not exactly the ‘meaning of life’, but if I can answer this question I can add it to my guide to buying an original piece. I have my own theory about it, but I’ll keep that to myself for now 🙂

So, if you have what you believe to be a fully original example, I would like to know (a) what the colour of the day & date wheels are, (b) what the day wheel language combination is – this may give a clue to my theory! – and (c) what is the dial colour (i.e. one version had a black or grey dial and a printed, not applied, Citizen logo).

Although there are other versions of the ‘bullhead’ with the same case design, to keep it simple, at least for now, I want to stick to the most common 67-9011 model, with one of the following case numbers: 4-901177, 4-901053, or 4-901011. In the catalogue images I have of these models, the day and date wheels are black……

Here’s one of my examples of case number 4-901177 – as you can see it has white wheels, and the language combo is English and Arabic:

SONY DSC

It will be great to hear from anyone with an original piece – please remember to answer all three questions and use the comment facility for this particular post for your answers.

Thanks in advance!

This entry was posted in Vintage Watches. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A Question to Owners of the Challenge Timer (Bullhead) 67-9011

1. Konstantinos says:

My example (case: 4-901177)
    (a) colour of the day & date wheels: black
    (b) what the day wheel language combination: english-spanish
    (c) what is the dial colour: silver, black subdials & applied silver Citizen logo.

2. Alva Shortt says:

Hi Stephen
    My challenge timer 4-901177K has a black on black day date with english and Spanish days silver face and an applied citizen logo
    You should still have photos I sent a few years back
    Regards
    Alva

3. sweephand says:

Hi Alva – thank you

4. Luis says:

Hi! I am a 67-9011’s first owner.
    A) Black wheels.
    B) Spanish and English languages.
    C) Silver dial, black subdials and applied logo.
    Regards. Luis.

5. sweephand says:

Had a reply on the SCWF (thanks to ‘koekoek’):
    A: both are black
    B: English and French
    C: Dial is white

6. N J Miller says:

Hello Stephen,
    I have a restoration project (4-901177 Y)
    Citizen Challenge, which I believe to be original, but in poor condition. To answer your questions tho’;
    A) Day/ Date wheels are both white.
    B) English/ Arabic
    C) white, with applied Citizen name, with black sub-dials. Hope this helps!
    Best regards
    Nick Miller

7. sweephand says:

Well we haven’t had a massive response! But I am very grateful to Konstantinos, Alva, Luis and Nick for their replies here, and for Koekoek on the SCWF. Although it’s not quite a full research sample, I’ll do a post on my theory about the white and black wheels 🙂