This Week’s Featured Watch #51 – the Diamond Flake

In 1962 Citizen introduced the beautifully named Diamond Flake based on the 0700 movement. Why this name? well a diamond flake would be thin, and at the time the 0700 movement was the thinnest Japanese design, measuring just 2.75mm deep – beating the Seiko Gold Feather by 0.2mm. I say ‘beating’ because there was something of a race to produce the thinnest movements, following the fashion for ever slimmer dress watches.

Here’s an ad from the time:

The movement was made with either 25 or 31 jewels, and later a date version was made (2700 movement, 25 jewels). My example has the 25 jewels calibre:

The logo at the 12 0’clock position is unique to the Diamond Flake, and the narrow hands on this model emphasise the slender overall design:

The thin movement allows a slim case:

This is a hand winder of course, an automatic would have been necessarily thicker to accommodate the rotor and auto winding system. The gold finish of the movement indicates that this was a good quality model:

The case back, with production in September 1963:

Some models were depth rated to 40 meters, but these were essentially dress watches, wearing light and comfortable under the cuff.

This entry was posted in Vintage Watches and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to This Week’s Featured Watch #51 – the Diamond Flake

1. stuartm1970 says:

Reblogged this on Vintage Watches Middle East.

2. Scott says:

Stumbled across this through Google, nice watch! What’s the case diameter on yours?

3. Scott says:

Sounds like a good size. Any interest in selling it or know where I can locate an identical one?

Hi Scott, not for sale I’m afraid. These aren’t easy to find 😦 They occasionally crop up on eBay, although sometimes in poor condition – that’s how I got my parts watch.

Stephen

4. scott says:

If you ever change your mind… 🙂

5. Daniele says:

Hi , I have just bought a watch like this. The mine like your have on the back the write STAR , do you know why ? Tks

Hi Daniele, thanks for visiting my blog. Citizen made their watch cases at the ‘STAR’ factory – I believe STAR was a company in its own right before Citizen acquired it, and the name continued to be used into the early 1960s. Stephen

• Daniele says:

Tks! now is more clear..
        Now I have to wait my watch form Japan and than send it for a service to my watchsmith.
        I think that is hard to find part for this movement ..is a solid movement or fragile in your opinion?

Although it’s a very thin movement, it is well made and solid, so providing it is in decent condition it should run well for a long time once it’s been serviced. It won’t be water resistant of course, but with reasonable care it should be fine. Stephen

• Daniele says:

Tks Stephen , I cross my finger and I hope
            my watchsmith have the skill for service this thin movement ..

You’re welcome, and I hope all goes well with the watch. Stephen

• daniele says:

Hi, i have another question perhaps you can help me. My dial have some stain in the edge that i can’t accept 😦 and I’m looking for another better dial . Maybe do you have a spare parts Dial in nice condition ? or your friends citizen community ? any suggestions are appreciate , tsk !

Hi Daniele, I’m afraid replacement dials are very hard to find for any vintage Citizen watches and I don’t know of anything available. The best place to look for parts is Yahoo Japan, where there are more spare parts advertised, but it could be a long and difficult search. Stephen

6. Daniele says:

Hi Stephen im here again.. than i have found a better dial on buyee/Yahoo and also i have change the entire movement, but now i’m looking for a new plexi chrystal and seem a mission impossible 😦
    on buyee/yahoo i can’t understand where looking for a compatible plexi!
    my watch is the same on your pic above, please can you suggest me a replacement plexi chrystal or the correct dimension ? tks

Hi Daniele – unfortunately I don’t have the crystal part number for this particular watch in my parts catalog. I don’t know why since just about everything else seems to be there! So I don’t know whether there are alternatives available – probably unlikely anyway since this is an early 1960s model. I would think the best thing to do is to take your watch to a competent watchmaker and ask him to measure it and take a look at the shape to see if something suitable can be found. Stephen