This Week’s Featured Watch #23 – the Homer

The humble ‘Homer’ was Citizen’s workhorse hand wind movement for many years. First produced in 1960 I believe it was produced right through to 1980 or so, not only in Homer badged models but in others as well – notably the ‘Newmaster’. It was also used in some Rhythm Time models. The Rhythm Time company was affiliated to Citizen in the 1950s and produced entry level mechanical watches, often in smaller sizes  for youngsters.

This post is about the first and simplest Homer model, which used the 0200/0201 movement. Other Homers were made with date and day windows, but they are for another day…..

When first launched the Homer was most commonly produced in gold plated cases, which were more popular in that era. And despite their humble place in the quality hierarchy early models often featured textured and patterned dials, whilst some had hexagonal and square cases. Hopefully I’ll show more of them when I do a page / article on the range.

In the early 1960s there were also a few Homer variants – the ‘Guppy’, the ‘Special’ and, featuring red, yellow or green dials – the ‘Pansy’.

The 0200/01 movement was initially made with 17, 19 or 21 jewels, later it was also seen with 7 jewels as costs were kept down for the younger market. Here’s a shot of the 17 jewel variant:

Here’s my early Homer – this one carries the Minolta company logo on the dial, which has some spotting which is all the more apparent when photographed!:

The dial carries the ‘Parashock’ and ‘Phynox’ text typical of earlier models, has a nicely finished chapter ring around a brushed centre and engraved hour markers:

Made in April 1963, this special edition for the Minolta company has nice low production number of 13:

And now let’s fast forward 10 years…..this 21 jeweled example is from May 1973, and the Homer logo has been dropped:

The stylised crown marker at 12 o’clock is also seen on the ‘Newmaster’ models, whilst the case back is now screwed on  rather than a snap on type.

Finally, here’s an example of the Rhythm Time versions – same movement but in a smaller case, suitable for a teenager:

The case is chrome plated (‘CCP’), reflecting that this was an inexpensive watch:

The movement in this is clearly lower quality to keep costs down, with just 7 jewels and crudely stamped marks. Despite that this one has been serviced by the look of it:

Why the name ‘Homer’? I don’t really know the answer to that, but the Greek meaning of it I believe is to do with ‘security’ or a ‘pledge’ – makes sense that this was chosen since this movement has proved to be very sound and reliable.

This entry was posted in Vintage Watches and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to This Week’s Featured Watch #23 – the Homer

1. Jorge Olguin says:

Hi Sweephand.

Thank you for such interesting info. I’m from Mexico, and looking for a vintage and simple hand winder I bought a second hand Citizen with this “Homer” caliber. Much to my surprise it has the 17 jewels movement, with the citizen branding, but with a Rhythm Time type case. It is slightly small, but I get away with using it thanks to my slim wrists 🙂

I’ll keep reading your posts 🙂

Hi Jorge,
      good to hear that the blog is useful. It’s interesting to read that your watch has the 17 jewel movement. Is the dial marked ‘Rhythm Time’ and does it have the jewel count on it?
      There are a few Rhythm time models in the 1971 Citizen catalog but the jewel count isn’t shown 😦

Did you know that Citizen had a factory in Mexico, so yours may have been made there 🙂

Stephen

• jorgeolguin says:

Hi Stephen.

I didn’t know you replyed to my comment, almost a year ago!! Sorry for not beeing aware.

I concluded that my watch is a Rhythm Time case because it is too small and is not stainless steels.

Let me try and include an image of my small boy’s size citizen with the Homer movement and dial.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img407/3022/1960citizensmall2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img28/5647/1960citizensmall1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img706/9774/1d91.jpg[/IMG]

2. In India HMT watches still use this caliber. Check out this thread. Watches to look out for HMT Sona, HMT Surya, HMT Sudeep

3. jorgeolguin says:

Trying to answer to your very kind reply, but no luck 😦

4. jorgeolguin says:

I just want to share some pics of my citizen that we commented a year ago.

Hi Jorge, good to hear from you again. Unfortunately only I can post pics directly here. But I can use your links so I’ll get the pics and upload them shortly 🙂

It does look like a ‘Rhythm’ watch, in the 1971 catalog these are listed in the Ladies watch section.

Stephen

Here are Jorge’s pics:

aagh! for some reason WordPress isn’t maintiaining the URL links to the pics – will investigate later

Although not marked ‘Rhythm Time’ this model looks to be one of those, using the Homer 17 jewel movement. The Rhythm Time company was acquired by Citizen in 1953. Since this one is marked waterPROOF and shockPROOF it was probably made for export, in the early 1970s I would guess. Does it have a serial number Jorge?

Stephen