Movement Table Updated to v5.2

I realised this evening that there was an error in the Movement Table – I had exclusively used the ‘museum books’ as a reference for the table at first, but I have been able to get other original Citizen material since then. But I hadn’t noticed that one of the movement numbers in the museum book for the rare Highness model was incorrect. Although the date and day version was right – 7730 – it gave the wrong number (7740) for the date only version. It should be 7430. In fact there is no movement designated 7740.

I’ve now amended the table and uploaded version 5.2, and it can be accessed via the blogroll on the right.

Now for the ‘doh!’ moment….I have a date only Highness in my collection, and still hadn’t noticed the error in the Table!! The number is clear enough on the movement:

And the 4-740203 case number is a pretty good clue too!:

This entry was posted in Vintage Watches and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Movement Table Updated to v5.2

1. Julio Soto says:

Thanks so much Mr. Netherwood for your Movement Table job.

It allows to guess me that my Citizen is from March 1979. However note that its serial number is just 7 digits: 9030480.

The movement stamped inside is 7500A.

It also has on the rear cover:
    4-752163 TA…….48-0266……..SF-8-U, but I don’t know the meaning of these codes.

Julio Soto, Caracas, Venezuela

Hi Julio, I’m pleased that the Movement Table has been helpful 🙂

March 1979 is correct for your watch – it is interesting that the serial number is 7 digits rather than 8. I know that after 1980, Citizen used 7 and 6 digit serial numbers but I’m not sure exactly when, so maybe yours was one of the first to have this type.

The other codes on the case back are the case number (4-752163TA) and the model number (48-0266), both of which could have been used if parts were needed. SF-8-U is the case type, which helps when a watch maker is servicing the movement. ‘SF’ means it’s a ‘square flange’ type.

Have you any pics of the watch? (if so you are very welcome to post a link). I think these are usually women’s models, is that correct for yours?

Stephen

• Julio Soto says:

Thanks Mr. Netherwood for your words.

No, the watch is for men, I bought it brand new on 1980. I uploaded a pic to

It’s rectangular shaped and its measurement is 3.7 x 2.6 centimeters. It is a 7 jewels Citizen Quartz working okay and with its original and complete wristband.

Inside has also engraved 280-18 and at the bottom of the dial it has “Japan 7500-753094-K”

Thanks for the link to your photo Julio. Is the dial marked ‘CQ’ above the 6 o’clock position? I ask because the 1970s 7500 movement is an ‘electro-mechanical’ movement, which has a balance and hairspring and would look like this (but with 7 jewels:

If it’s not like this and has a conventional quartz module, it may actually be a later model.

Regards,
          Stephen

• Julio Soto says:

Right Mr. Netherwood, the dial has a CQ emblem.

I took and uploaded 3 pics more :

So, what do you think now about its production date?

2. sweephand says:

Hi Julio, thanks for the additional information and the photos. It’s not very helpful that Citizen used the same number – 7500 – for a later quartz module! So now I think your watch is most likely from 1989, although it could be 1999. I’m afraid I haven’t studied the quartz models so I can’t be any more certain.

Stephen

• Julio Soto says:

Maybe I forgot the exact year when I bought it, but I’m completely sure it was on the 80’s decade.

So 1989 could be an accurate date.

Thanks Mr. Netherwood for your time and replies.

Best regards,