This Week’s Featured Watch #28 – the Homer Railroad Watch

About five Featured Watches ago, I covered the ‘humble Homer’ (https://sweep-hand.org/2012/02/23/this-weeks-featured-watch-23-the-homer/). However, one model I didn’t include since I believe it warrants a feature of its own, is the the so-called railroad watch. And it has this name for good reason, since it was official issue to Japan’s National Railways staff in the 1960s and 70s:

Simplicity and clarity appear to be the design priorities for this one, as well as the use of ‘second setting’, more commonly called ‘hacking’ – a feature not normally found on the Homers. This allows watches to be synchronised and was no doubt a requirement on the famously reliable and punctual Japanese railway network. The white dial, which has a slightly blue tint, has very clear numbers, with lumed hands and pips outside the hour markers:

Other than second setting, the 21 jewel movement appears to be standard Homer, although I don’t know if any additional adjustments were made for accuracy at the factory before issue (note the crown is pulled out in this shot to ‘hack’ the watch):

Inside the somewhat pitted caseback there’s evidence of servicing fairly recently:

But it’s the outside of the case back that is particularly interesting, since it is specially marked:

The upper symbol and ’50’ is the Showa year of issue, so this is 1975. Here’s a conversion chart for the Japanese calendar for information: http://photojpn.org/PPC/gui/year.html (with thanks to Philbert Ono)

I presume 1934 is the issue number of the watch, whilst I understand that the lower characters probably read ‘National Railways’ (West Division).

This shot better shows the chrome frames of the hands:

The signed crown on this one is the earlier type, more usually seen on pre-1970s watches:

A classicly simple watch, perfect for use on the railways of Japan:

This entry was posted in Vintage Watches and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to This Week’s Featured Watch #28 – the Homer Railroad Watch

1. Bertram says:

Hi there, I am from Singapore and I have the exact same citizen homer as you. I myself love Japanese watch. And this is my first real watch for a start However I am not too sure about a few things about the adjustment. Is it ok to wind the watch clock wise and anti clockwise ? and how far should I wind the watch ? when I first received the watch I just wind it till there is a slight resistant and stop. Maybe about 30 or so winds. You advise is greatly appreciated.

Hi Bertram, thanks for visiting my blog 🙂 Good to hear you have one of the Japanese Railways Homers, one of my favourite watches. It sounds to me that you are winding the watch correctly. Hand winders are usually wound every morning, and winding until you feel resistance and then stopping is fine. I usually do it fairly gently, especially when it is likely to be getting close to fully wound. Winding daily will probably nor require as many winds as 30. It’s ok to turn the crown clockwise and anti-clockwise. Clockwise is actually winding the watch, whilst a ratchet (‘click stop’) works when you turn it anti-clockwise so that you don’t have to keep letting go of the crown as you wind it.
      Stephen

2. Bertram says:

Hi Sorry for the late reply!!! Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Yes I do agree that its a very underrated watch. But it is so robust. And its really a everyday watch to be utilize and not kept in watch box for years!

3. Jim Soloway says:

I’ve owned on of these railroad Homers for many years. Thanks for the info and the link to the date table. Very useful info. By the way, mine gets a lot of daily use and still keeps great time.

Hi Jim, thanks for visiting my blog and I’m pleased that it has been useful. Great to see that your are using your Railroad watch regularly. I believe the 21 jewel movement, with second setting, is a high precision version of the basic Homer movement – it needed to be for official use of course.

Stephen

4. Hisham says:

So that was the story. I had read somewhere that Seiko also submitted their proposal for Japanese Rail Watch. That was based on their 61xx caliber or something. I suppose that contract went to Citizen.

Hi Hisham, thanks for visiting my blog. I know Seiko ‘second setting’ pocket watches are used, to this day I believe, by Japanese train drivers.
      Stephen

5. Marko says:

Stunning watch! I think, that there have not been so many wrist watches at that time, -60´s and -70´s, with the RR-status. Of course Swiss brands, like Zenith and a few others have their own and also U.S makers, like Hamilton, might have had a few too. But the most part of RR-watches was pocket watches, they are “easier” to adjust and altogether easier to produce, because they are larger than wrist watches.
    I think Japan Railroads have acquired prefer domestic watches than watches from abroad and there´s no problem, Japanese watch is as good than an equivalent Swiss, maybe even better when comparing chronometer-standards…
    But all in all, absolutely stunning and very collectable and desirable watch in these days!
    How accurate it is…?

Regards, Marko

Hi Marko – thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I haven’t worn this for a while and I can’t remember its accuracy. I know it wasn’t poor, I would remember that!! Stephen